• Cedar City |
  • Mesquite

  • More
  • More
  • Tiny Town Shook After Parowan Homicide
    by Carin Miller
    Published - 07/14/14 - 12:40 PM | 1 1 comments | 36 36 recommendations | email to a friend | print
    87-year-old Parowan resident Nathan C. Zimmerman was charged with Murder, a first Degree Felony, Friday morning by the Iron County Attorney's office.
    87-year-old Parowan resident Nathan C. Zimmerman was charged with Murder, a first Degree Felony, Friday morning by the Iron County Attorney's office.
    (PAROWAN, Utah) – A Parowan man was charged Friday with the murder of a Parowan woman who was found dead after multiple law enforcement agencies responded to a domestic disturbance call Thursday afternoon.

    According to a press release, Parowan City Police Department received a call at 12:25 p.m. Thursday afternoon and responded to a complaint of gunshot sounds in a residential neighborhood near 300 South and 800 West in Parowan, Utah.

    Upon arriving on the scene, officers found 57-year-old Parowan resident Janet Colleen Goode lying unresponsive in the driveway with multiple bullet wounds and a shotgun nearby. Officers quickly determined Goode was deceased, and took the 83-year-old resident, Nathan C. Zimmerman, into custody for questioning.

    On Friday, the Iron County Attorney’s office, formally charged Zimmerman with murder, a first-degree felony. He was remanded to the Iron County Correctional Facility for incarceration while awaiting a preliminary hearing date. Zimmerman’s cash-only bail was set at $500,000.

    Officials said that the incident occurred at Zimmerman’s Parowan residence. Goode, who was Zimmerman’s stepdaughter, did not live there, officials said. Officials said they would not discuss the possible nature of the dispute, because the investigation is an ongoing, open case.

    Goode, was immediately sent to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Salt Lake City to determine her exact cause of death through an autopsy. No word is available at this time about the nature of the autopsy results.

    Parowan City Manager Shayne Scott said the whole incident is a shock to the system of such a small, tight knit community. He said that Parowan is a town of just under 3000 residents, and, because of that, most people know each other well – which makes it an especially difficult tragedy for community members.

    “Obviously, Parowan is such a small community so we know each other,” Scott said. “I’m from St. George, so when something like this happens in St. George it makes me sad and scared, but it’s usually not someone that I know – when something like this happens in a town of about 3,000 people, where everyone knows each other, it can be emotionally devastating.”

    Scott said that the town went into a sort of buzz and calls started coming in from concerned community members looking for answers. He said above all, he wanted to assure residents that Parowan was still a safe community and the shooting that occurred was an isolated incident, domestic in nature.

    “One caller that called into the station said that there was a shooting and so we needed to close the pool down when the truth is it was nowhere near the pool and it was a domestic altercation,” Scott said. “We just wanted people to know there wasn’t a gunman running around Parowan and people were safe.”

    Scott said the Parowan Police Department in conjunction with Enoch City Police and the Iron County Sheriff’s Department did a fantastic job getting the situation under control quickly and efficiently – ensuring the safety of residents.

    Officials report the case currently is under investigation by the Joint Investigative Task Force for Iron County. More information will be provided as it becomes available.

    Comments-icon Post a Comment
    Lydia Brescia
    July 14, 2014
    This was a very informative article...and of interest to me since I used to live in Parowan.
    Submit an Event