Develop a Family Evacuation Plan that answers these questions:
• How will you leave your home and your neighborhood?
• What location will you go to if you evacuate?
• What items will you have in your pre-prepared Evacuation Go Bag?
• If separated from family members how will you re-unite?
When building your Evacuation Kit or Go Bag here are some items to include:
The five Ps
• Pills - Prescription Medication/copies of Prescriptions
• Papers - Driver’s License or ID, Social Security Card, Proof of Residence, Insurance Policies, Birth/Marriage Certificates, Investment Information, Wills, Deeds, Tax Information
• Pets - Be prepared to evacuate, transport and care for pets away from the home
• Pictures - Special photos that can’t be replaced. Consider placing photos and other important papers on a computer compatible memory device.
• Personal Computers
Some Go Bag - Secondary Items you should consider:
• Radio / batteries
• First Aid Kit
• Flashlight / batteries
• Food (non-perishable)
• Infant / Elder hygiene items
• Hygiene Items (hand sanitizer, feminine hygiene items)
• Medical equipment / devices
• Change of clothes
• Sleeping bags
• Back-up of computer files
• Pet Food / Pet Meds
Keys to surviving a natural disaster are:
• Stay Informed
• Have a Plan
• Be Ready
Law enforcement agencies are responsible for carrying out the evacuation, and law enforcement agencies are responsible for the security of areas that are evacuated. These may include deputies, volunteers, and search and rescue personnel. Your local chapter of the American Red Cross is involved in setting up evacuation shelters. If you are evacuated and choose not to go to a Red Cross shelter, you are advised to contact the Red Cross to provide information about your location, in the event family or friends are trying to find you.
Remember to register your phones and email address on the Code Red emergency notification system. By doing this, you will be notified by your choice of phone call, text, or email of emergency situations. You can register by going to Coconino County’s Emergency Management website, www.coconino.az.gov/readycoconino. Click on the Code Red Banner at the bottom of the page. You also can download a free Code Red emergency notification app for android and