“2013 saw the emergence of several new defenders of economic freedom as well as continued excellence among old allies,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “Some members have seen their voting records improve and will be honored this year with recognition of their efforts for the first time. While there are more champions of pro-economic growth policy serving in Congress than at any time before, it’s clear that our fight against the big spenders in both parties has a long way to go.”
This year, 31 members of Congress will receive the Club for Growth’s Defender of Economic Freedom Award. Starting in 2011, The Club for Growth required Representatives and Senators to not only score 90 or better on votes cast in a year, but to also have a lifetime score or “LifeScore” of at least 90.
Highlights from the Club for Growth's 2013 Congressional Scorecard:
• Two United States Senators received perfect scores in 2013: Ted Cruz (TX) and Mike Lee (UT) – both of whom also qualify for the Defender of Economic Freedom Award.
• Senators Pat Toomey (PA), Marco Rubio (FL), Rand Paul (KY), Tom Coburn (OK), Jim Inhofe (OK), Tim Scott (SC) and Jim Risch (ID) had 2013 scores and LifeScores high enough to qualify for the Defender of Economic Freedom Award.
• 22 current House members who received scores of 90 percent or better in 2013 also had LifeScores of 90 or better to qualify for the Defender of Economic Freedom Award.
• Four members of Congress received 100 percent ratings in 2013. Of those, one also has a 100 percent LifeScore: Freshman Congressmen Matt Salmon (AZ-05). Congressmen Trent Franks (AZ-08), David Schweikert (AZ-06), and Tom McClintock (CA-04) all received 100 percent scores in 2013. Congressman Justin Amash (MI-03) received a 99 percent, but because of rounding has a 100 percent LifeScore.
• Freshmen who scored a 90% or above in 2013 include Congressmen Salmon (AZ-05), DeSantis (FL-06), Bridenstine (OK-01), Sanford (SC-01), Massie (KY-04), Cotton (AR-04), Wenstrup (OH-02), and Perry (PA-04).
• Nineteen Senate Democrats scored zero in 2013. Every Senate Democrat received a 20% or worse, and only three Democrats received higher than 10%.
• Republican Leadership scores in 2013 were: Boehner: N/A, Cantor: 68%, McCarthy: 53%, McMorris Rodgers: 59%, Lankford: 70%, Ryan: 79%.
• Democratic leadership scores in 2013 were: Pelosi: 12%, Hoyer: 19%, Clyburn: 15%, Becerra: 12%, Van Hollen: 15%.
• The highest scoring Democrat was a tie between Congressman Jim Matheson (UT-04) and Congressman Mike McIntyre (NC-07), each with a 40%. They scored higher than four Republicans : Representatives Diaz-Balart (FL-25), Ros-Lehtinen (FL-27), Grimm (NY-11) and Gibson (NY-19). Ros-Lehtinen (FL-27), Grimm (NY-11), and Gibson (NY-19) tied for last among Republicans, each with a 37%.
To view the Club for Growth's 2013 Congressional Scorecard and all prior Scorecards go to: www.ClubForGrowth.org/Projects