• Cedar City |
  • Mesquite

  • More
  • More
  • Albert LeRoy Sharp (July 9, 1937 - December 30, 2013)
    Published - 01/15/14 - 09:46 AM | 0 0 comments | 43 43 recommendations | email to a friend | print
    Albert LeRoy Sharp
    Albert LeRoy Sharp
    (ST. GEORGE, Utah) - On the afternoon of December 30, 2013, Albert LeRoy Sharp quietly passed away at age 76. His last days were spent surrounded by his family. He will be greatly missed.

    Al was born in Salt Lake City on July 9, 1937 to Joseph C and Helen Swenson Sharp. He was one of four boys and had a twin brother who died at birth. He loved and respected his brothers. He especially enjoyed spending time with his brother, Joe, and loved the times they would go sailing and flying together. Al was given the nickname "Bump" when he was a young boy and it definitely stuck with him throughout his life. He was known by friends as "Bump" or "Bumpy" and his grand kids all knew him as Grandpa Bump.

    Bump grew up in Salt Lake City and graduated from East High School. He is a veteran of the United States Marine Corps and served 3 years commencing in 1956. After serving in the USMC, Bump worked on a USGS ship in Alaska.

    He enjoyed the years that he ran Porky's Cafe in Salt Lake City and made many friends while working there. After Porky's, he worked in the aviation industry in Salt Lake City, Seattle and Chicago. He retired from Allied Aviation in Chicago and later settled in sunny St George to be close to his brother and grandsons.

    Al married Patricia Billings and together they had three children. Gregg, Kimberly and Brent. They later divorced and he never remarried.

    He was a very loving grandfather and thoroughly enjoyed going to all of his grandsons' many sporting events. His yells at officials (vampires) and his Aflac duck calls became well known at Dixie High School football, basketball and baseball games. He was extremely happy to be able to see his grandson, Mike, play football this year at SUU.

    Bump is survived by his brothers: Joe (Pauline), Mervyn (Sue), and Steve (Kathy); his children: Gregg (Betty), Kimberly, Brent (Corie), daughter-in-law, Michelle (Joe) McArthur; his grandchildren: Brock (Kensey), Corbin, Michael, Brooke, Taylor, Nick, Shaylie, Tyson, Johnny (Krystal), Aedon and Allie Anaya and McKinze McArthur; and great-grandson Crue. He is also survived by many nieces and nephews.

    Bump recently became very ill and he knew that his time on earth was going to be over soon. He commented several times in the last few weeks that he hoped to live long enough to meet Crue's little brother, who is expected in March. He wanted to enjoy another Thunderbird football season and he hoped to see his grandson, Nick, return home from his LDS mission. We are sad that he won't be here with us to experience these and many other family events, but we all know he will be watching (and yelling at the refs) from above. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Dixie High School Athletics in his name.

    A memorial gathering will be held at the Pine View Mortuary on Saturday, January 4, 2014 between 12 - 2 pm.
    Comments-icon Post a Comment
    No Comments Yet
    Submit an Event