“Don’t let the snow and cold stop you,” says Wolf, as Utahns can mail from the comfort of home at usps.com. It’s one of Wolf’s seven holiday shipping tips sure to save postal customers time and money.
• Use Self-Service Kiosks – These self-service machines are easy to use and make buying stamps and shipping packages convenient and 24/7. They accept credit and debit cards and are located in the lobby of most Post Offices along the Wasatch front, and St. George.
• Find a convenient postal location - Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) to find the postal location nearest you or go online at usps.com and click on “Find USPS Locations.”
• Use free Priority Mail flat rate envelopes and boxes – If it fits it ships to any U.S. address for one low price. Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express Flat Rate boxes are free, and are available at Post Offices. The USPS will deliver flat-rate boxes to your home or business at no charge by calling 1-800-610-8734 or online at usps.com/supplies.
• Ship online and save – Those who ship online at usps.com receive up to an 11 percent discount off Post Office retail prices.
• Request a free package pickup online – Customers who receive mail delivery can go online and request a free pickup of their postage-paid Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express packages. Requests for Free Package Pickup must be made online. Submit the request by midnight and your carrier will pick up the package(s) the next day.
• Take advantage of the military discount – Use a Priority Mail Large Flat Rate box when shipping to an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) address and receive a $2 discount.
• Buy stamps conveniently – Ask your carrier for a Stamps-by-Mail Form, buy online at usps.com, or by phone at 1-800-STAMP-24 (1-800-782-6724). Many drug stores, grocery stores and office supply companies now carry stamps for the convenience of their customers.
More holiday mailing tips:
Always use a complete address. Include all address elements, including apartment numbers, suite numbers, and directional information. Print return address in the upper left corner.
Select a box that is strong enough to protect the contents. Be careful when reusing boxes – they can weaken in the shipping process.
Cushion items so they don’t shift in transit.
Remove batteries from electronic devices and wrap separately.
Place an extra address label with the delivery and return address inside the package. This ensures the safe return of an item that could not be delivered should the outside label become damaged or fall off.
Always use tape designed for sealing shipping boxes. Do not use string, cellophane and masking tape.