“While many people will spend the Labor Day weekend traveling and spending time with family and friends, no one should take a vacation from safety,” said Heidi Ruster, CEO, American Red Cross Utah Region. “It’s still important that people work to remain vigilant on the road, at the beach and at cookouts.”
People should follow these safety tips:
Tips for Safe Travel
• Carry an emergency supply kit in your trunk.
• Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive.
• Buckle up and observe speed limits.
• Don’t drink and drive.
Tips for Safe Swimming
• Check weather and water conditions beforehand and throughout the day.
• Always swim with a buddy in a designated swimming area supervised by a lifeguard.
• Provide constant supervision to children in or near the water and always stay within arm’s reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
• Young children and inexperienced swimmers should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
Tips for Safe Grilling
• Keep the grill away from the house, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Keep children and pets away from the grill.
• Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
The American Red Cross First Aid App for smart phones and tablets provides users with expert advice on what to do in case of an emergency. This free app is available on the Apple iTunes or Google Play stores and at redcross.org/mobileapps.
For more information on emergency preparedness, go to redcross.org. Additional water safety tips are located at redcross.org/watersafety.