As Labor Day approaches, one of the busiest travel weekends of the year, this Utah road warrior serves as a reminder to drive safely.
Houskeeper offers the following tips for safe driving:
• Drive defensively — expect the unexpected.
• Maintain a safe distance of one car length for every 10 mph between you and the car in front of you.
• Be courteous, use turn signals and obey all laws.
• Keep your options open — have a ‘what do I do if I’m cut off’ strategy.
• Turn off mobile devices when driving — no cell phones or texting.
Million Mile Safe Driving Award recipients are recognized by the National Safety Council with a lapel pin and a plaque. Reaching this pinnacle requires 30 years of service and a safe attitude.
“Our carriers deliver the mail in all kinds of weather and face daily hazards on their routes,” said Cedar City Postmaster Tina Hahn. “So, to drive a million miles without an accident is a tremendous achievement. Greg stands as a great example not only to our workforce, but to drivers everywhere.”
The nation’s 31,000 plus Post Offices are linked by nearly 214,000 vehicles – the world largest civilian fleet. Nearly 300,000 letter carriers and truck drivers log more than 1.2 billion miles annually when delivering to America’s 151.5 million addresses.