• Saint George |
  • Cedar City |
  • Mesquite

  • More
  • More
  • More
  • Shooting in Cedar City (UPDATED)
    by Tracie Sullivan
    Published - 08/16/13 - 12:00 PM | 2 2 comments | 28 28 recommendations | email to a friend | print
    (CEDAR CITY, Utah) -- A high-speed chase down Main Street Thursday ended with one man listed in serious condition after he was shot multiple times with a .22 caliber rifle.

    According to Cedar City Public Information Officer Jimmy Roden, another officer was investigating a traffic accident by Love’s Truck Stop when he noticed a motorcyclist heading southbound driving carelessly. Unable to leave at the time the officer made a mental note to pull the motorcyclist over if he saw him again.

    Just a short time later at around 5:40 pm the officer saw the motorcyclist, identified as 55-year-old James Alan Reynolds, and attempted to pull him over. Traveling near 1045 North Main, the officer was forced to take up pursuit when Reynolds refused to stop. After several blocks Reynolds finally made a U-turn and headed north -- the officer still behind him.

    During the chase, the officer noticed the suspect had a firearm. Roden said Reynolds then pulled up next to another motorcyclist traveling in the same direction on Main Street and 900 North and opened fire, shooting several times before the victim’s motorcycle veered off and crashed.

    The 21-year-old male, whose identity has not yet been publicly released, sustained two gunshot wounds to the lower back and was transported to Valley View Medical Center before being transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George. A press release sent out Friday morning said he was recovering from his injuries however, his current condition is unknown.

    The officer continued pursuit chasing Reynolds a couple of more blocks before he made another U-turn to go southbound again.

    “At that point, it became a full-blown chase down Main Street,” Roden said.

    As Reynolds picked up speed, he attempted to pass through a congested intersection against a red light, colliding into a passenger car at Center and Main Street. Roden reported the collision resulted in minor injuries to those in the vehicle and the suspect.

    Reynolds was taken into custody and transported to Valley View Medical Center where he was treated and released for minor injuries resulting from the accident. Reynolds was booked into the Iron County Correctional Facility on charges of Attempted Murder, Discharge of a Firearm from a Vehicle, Failure to Stop on Command and Reckless Driving.

    Reynold’s motive for shooting the victim is still not known.

    “Its still too early to speculate,” Roden said.

    Comments-icon Post a Comment
    Jack Sprat
    August 18, 2013
    Shooting the shooter is a great idea unless that type of action resulted in several more bystanders being shot. I rode bikes for 40 plus years and can assure you that tapping his rear wheel of the shooters bike with the police car would be more effective if he could have done it. You can take a bike out with a simple bump in the rear. But then none of us reading this article know a damn thing about any of it. We were not there so it easy to speculate. Usually we are all wrong anyway>>>
    August 17, 2013
    Submit an Event