• 40% of heat related deaths are among people over the age of 65.
• A study out of Kent State University shows most respondents over age 65 thought the heat warnings for seniors did not apply to them and were targeted to “older Americans.”
That’s why Visiting Angels advises families to protect their aging relatives by assembling Senior Summer Safety Kits. These kits include vital, yet, inexpensive tools to make sure elderly loved ones have the protection they need to stay safe during hot summer days – especially when family members are not around.
“Seniors often don’t realize their bodies can’t handle heat like they used to so they fail to take extra precautions. That’s why it’s so important to have resources available right within reach,” says Visiting Angels CEO, Larry Meigs. “Seniors can get dry because their body water content decreases and medications can dehydrate them. Take the time to prepare a Senior Summer Safety Kit. If you can’t be with your elderly loved one, hire a caregiver to make sure your senior hydrates, applies sunscreen and stays active and engaged indoors.”
What’s in the ‘Senior Summer Safety Kit?’ – (contents optional)
• Reusable water bottle to maintain hydration
• Copies of all prescriptions and health insurance cards
• Phone numbers of health care providers and information concerning chronic health problems
• Broad spectrum sunscreen, at least SPF 30, to prevent serious burns
• Snap Towels that activate with water and have a cooling effect when applied to the skin
• Misting fans that require no electricity in case of a power outage
• An ID bracelet with personal information and emergency contact numbers
• A pre-paid cell phone for seniors to use in an emergency
The Senior Summer Safety Kit can be easily purchased and assembled for $25 - $50 in less than 15 minutes.