• Cedar City |
  • Mesquite

  • More
  • More
  • Boyd Vernell Whipple (August 17, 1933 - June 30, 2013)
    Published - 07/10/13 - 10:43 PM | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
    Boyd Vernell Whipple
    Boyd Vernell Whipple
    (ST. GEORGE, Utah) - Boyd Vernell Whipple passed away June 30, 2013 in St. George, Utah. He was born August 17, 1933 in Farmington, New Mexico to William Wilford Whipple and Beatrice Thayne. He was the youngest of 6 children.

    Boyd’s mother passed away when he was two years old, and his brothers and sisters worked hard to keep the farm going and to take care of each other. His older sister LaRee taught him phonetics, and he learned to read by hoarding his older brother’s comic books. His best memories of the farm were his father’s roses and his dog, Tatters. He often said that he hoped Tatters would be there to greet him in Heaven.

    During the war, his father left the farm and moved to Las Vegas for work. Boyd liked to tell stories about riding his bicycle to deliver papers, and how he would use the money to go to the movies with his brothers, Verland and Cale. His father passed away not long after moving, and Boyd was left without parents at the age of 10. His older married brother, Walden, and his married sisters, LaRee and Velda helped to take care of him, but he ended up moving a lot. Since he was large in stature he could get a man’s job, and he would go wherever he could thumb a ride.

    Boyd attended several high schools because of his circumstances, but he was a good student and a great athlete. He was student body president and quarterback of his football team. He also excelled at track and basketball. He was being recruited for college football when he sustained a sports injury that ended his possibilities of a football career, and it also also kept him out of military services.

    After graduating from high school, he attended BYU. He would go to school for as long as his money would last and then he’d go to work to get enough money for another semester. Despite his challenges, he also served a religious mission in Uruguay and Paraguay. He had been assigned to Tahiti, but the ships to Tahiti were on strike, so he was reassigned to South America.

    During his mission, the elders had a basketball team that competed nationally, and Boyd was so well known in the country that people would yell out his name when they saw him in the streets. A famous doctor offered to operate on his knee for free to be associated with Boyd’s notoriety. Boyd made life time friends while he served the Lord.

    When he returned home, he continued his education at BYU. During one of his working periods, he was driving through Las Vegas on his way to Los Angeles. He had gassed up the car and with his last nickel he bought a soda. As he turned to leave, a man bumped into him and spilt the drink. Boyd looked up to see who had done this to him, and it was a friend from the mission field. The friend talked Boyd into staying in Las Vegas and offered to help him find work. Little did he know that he would also help him find the woman that he would be married to for 51 years.

    After 10 years of struggling to finish college, Boyd was in the first generation of his family to attend college and receive a bachelors degree. He moved his family to California where he was hired by the world’s largest accounting firm. He later went to work for the IRS, in the Hollywood division, where he audited movie stars. He accepted a temporary contract with the State Department and moved his wife, Nola and children, Lisa and Brad to Guatemala. Temporary seldom is, and for 15 years he traveled the globe as a U.S. Diplomat. He retired at the age of 51 after receiving accommodations from 4 different Presidents of the United States for his accomplished service to his country.

    Boyd always felt that the State Department was just a vehicle for his service to the Lord and the Church. He helped the church grow everywhere he went. He hesitated to transfer to Africa because at the time there was no church there, but he went anyway. For many years, he presided over family sacrament meetings in his living room, and he eventually was instrumental in getting the church started there. He served as the first Branch President in Kenya. He had wonderful stories of the faith of those members. He blessed the first baby that was born into the church in Kenya, and a young man that was baptized ended up serving a mission in Los Angeles where Boyd was after he retired.

    Boyd had a passion for genealogy. He had a theater room filled with charts and books and documents of his ancestors and family. He is now where he can be with those who passed on before him and be reunited with all the ancestors that he knew so well through his study and research. He was well read and could speak in detail on almost any subject. He spoke four languages fluently and often read the scriptures in those languages.

    Boyd served the Lord all his life. He not only served a mission in South America, he was also a Stake missionary, a Lost Sheep missionary, and a Spanish speaking Service missionary in St. George. He served as a Bishop in Guatemala and in the Mission Presidency in Colombia.

    Boyd passed away unexpectedly in his sleep on June 30, 2013. He had just celebrated his 51st wedding anniversary, his 50th Father’s Day, and he was only a few weeks away from his 80th birthday.

    Boyd started out in humble beginnings, and was not deterred by his hardships and struggles as he built his life into a full and interesting mortal experience.

    Boyd is survived by his wife and his two children; four grandchildren, and four of his siblings, LaRee, Velda, Verland and Cale. He will be missed for his kindness and generosity.

    Funeral services will be Friday, July 5, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. at the Quail Valley LDS Ward Chapel, 1762 S. River Rd., St. George, Utah. A visitation will be held Friday at 12:30 p.m. prior to services at the chapel. Interment will be in the Tonaquint Cemetery.
    Comments-icon Post a Comment
    No Comments Yet
    Submit an Event